Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How Many???



Mike O's tip of the day....






One question I regularly hear from woodworkers is "How many teeth on a saw blade should I buy to get the best smoothest cut?"

Well the answer is a little bit more complicated than that, but it doesn't necessarily have to be once you understand how saw teeth work.

Typically, the more teeth a saw blade has, the smoother the cut. It really doesn't matter whether this is the number of teeth over all on the saw blade for your table saw, miter saw, circular saw, jig saw, scroll saw, or band saw. Saw blades with fewer teeth will be more aggressive and will produce a rougher cut.

As a general rule, I recommend that a woodworker have a few different blades on hand for each tool. For instance, on a 10'' table saw , I'd keep a 40 TPI for general purposes, an 80 TPI for plywood and veneers and a specialty ripping blade for making rip cuts.

On a band saw, I keep a few different thicknesses blades depending on the sharpness of of the curves being cut. For instance, I keep a 1/4'' blade for tight curves, a 1/2'' blade for general cuts and a 3/4'' blade for re sawing.(if my bandsaw could accommodate one, I'd keep a 1'' blades for re sawing) The 1/2'' and 3/4'' and 1'' blades would probably 3 TPI . whereas thinner blades would have a greater TPI.

No comments: